The latest version of the free HNA Handicaps and Tournaments App has a host of exciting new features, including the ability to set up and run your own events or competitions.
This month, we explain the benefits of using the Events function and then take you step-by-step through the process of creating your own tournament.
Benefits of the HNA Handicaps & Tournaments App
Whether you are looking to set up a small tournament for your annual golf tour, your weekly golf school or even your club’s Wednesday or Saturday competition, the new version of the HNA Handicaps & Tournaments App (available in both iOS and Android formats) provides a free, easy-to-use and intuitive solution where players are able to input and follow their scores as their event progresses.
At the end of their round, each player’s score is submitted directly to the Tournament and the Handicap systems.
How the App can help you run your Tournament:
- The App is an open platform that allows you to set up a Public Event where any player can enter and take part in your tournament.
- Alternatively, as the Event Organiser, you can enter or invite specific players to participate in your Private Event.
- The App will identify each player’s official Handicap Index (Affiliated golfers).
- The App automatically calculates the Course Handicap for each player, based on the tee they select.
- Participants can track their position on the leaderboard during the round.
- Scores are available in real-time.
- Final results are calculated at the end of the tournament, from which you can conduct prizegiving.
Creating your own Tournament
To create a tournament as the Event Organiser, you will need to follow the following steps:
1. Select the Events button on the Dashboard of the HNA Handicaps & Tournament App. This will open up your My Events page.
2. Select the Create button (in iOS) or the Floating Action Button (red circle with white plus in Android) to start the process of creating a tournament.
3. Fill in your Event Details
You will be required, intuitively, to complete each step in the tournament creation process. This includes giving it a Name, Start Date and Time.
There are two options in Event Location: either select Single Club (all players play the same location) or Multi Club options (players can participate at the course of their choosing).
You can, in the case of Single Club Event Location, select the host club from the alphabetical list of all affiliated clubs or use the search bar to locate it. Once you have the club, select the course and default tees for men and women. Players can change tees, if necessary, later in the process.
4. Fill in the Event Format
Select one of Betterball, Individual or Alliance. Follow the prompts where required – for example, in Alliance you will need to input both the number of players in the team and the counting scores on each hole.
Select your method of Prize Calculation from the drop-down options.
5. Select your Parameters
Determine the Player Limit (maximum number of players that can participate in your tournament) and then indicate whether this will be a Public (anyone using the App can enter) or a Private (Event Organiser invites or enters all participants) event.
6. For the final step, select the Create button (in iOS) or the Floating Action Button (red circle with white arrow in Android).
Now you are ready to start the entries, create your playing groups and tee off.
If you are a Premium subscriber, you will have the added benefit of being able to follow the Live Leaderboard. Premium subscriptions cost just R149 per year, through an in-App purchase, and you can read about the other benefits here.
Submitting scores to the HNA Handicap system
- Once you have added the players, they can start setting up their playing groups.
- Players in each group move intuitively through the App steps to the Scorecard.
- Players enter their scores in the scorecard as they complete each hole on the course.
- If there is more than one marker in the group, all scores will need to be verified between the player and their marker prior to being submitted.
- If there is only one marker per group, the marker must check each player’s score before he/she submits each score to the Event and Handicap systems.
- For more information and a helpful FAQ on the Events feature of the HNA App, click here.
“One of the best ‘revolutions’ to come from the Covid-19 pandemic is the scoring system on the HNA App. We have been able to run very successful club competitions from the 18th of July – a month after the reopening of golf. No more wondering who won, if their scores went in or waiting for prizegivings all the results is available at the touch of a button! Electronic scoring is going to be part of the future of the game, maybe not every round, but it definitely has its place.”
Director of Golf: Stellenbosch Golf Club
Chairman: PGA of South Africa