On this day in 1888, St Andrews Golf Club in Yonkers, New York, was officially founded. It is the oldest surviving golf club in the United States.
In February of that year, Scotsman John Reid and a small group of friends created a three-hole course in a cow pasture just 20 miles from New York City, designating an apple tree (for its coat-hanging ability) as their clubhouse. This earned them the nickname of ‘The Apple Tree Gang’.
From those modest beginnings in 1888, St Andrews became a founder member of the USGA, and continue the traditions of Reid and his friends to this day, with members wearing a red jacket in his honour, and continuing its close relationships with the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews, Carnoustie, Prestwick, Royal Burgess and Royal Dornoch.
The current par 71 course was redesigned by Jack Nicklaus in 1983.